CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Love this time of year . . . . . .

My kids love being outside. They both get pretty upset when they have to come in. Kai throws himself on the ground with a crazy tantrum and Ava starts using her "lawyer" talk explaining to me that if I let her stay outside for just a few more minutes then she will be SOOOO happy! Usually I just bring them in, lock the door, and head upstairs until they've both come to the realization that I'm not going to let them back out and their actions are all in vain. You'd think they'd realize that this will be the scenario every time, but apparently they have a glimmer of hope that the next time might be the time that I say, "Okay - let's skip dinner, baths, and even sleeping tonight. Go play!" We'll see how that one works out for them. :)





This is what happens when you give a kid a chocolate chip granola bar . . . .

A couple of weeks ago I decided that I HAD to plant flowers and veggies out back. I had some ridiculous notion in my head that I actually had room for veggies, but alas I do not. Anyway, I actually had a lot going on that day, but once the spring planting was in my head, there was no way around it. I packed up the kids and made two, yes TWO (grrrr), trips to Home Depot, came home and planted away. Here is what we came up with:




I decide to try out these Aqua Globes. Since I intend on being in Utah at least a bit this summer, I thought these could be a good solution since I certainly am not close enough to any of my neighbors to ask them to water the plants. Well, that might be an understatement. I only know the name of one of my neighbors. At least I think it's her name. Anywho - the box says that they can water plants for up to two weeks, which would probably equate to about 2 hours in Las Vegas heat, but it's worth a try.

This is what I came up with for my "food garden." I have two of these little pots of soil, one for strawberries and one for tomatoes. It says on the package that they grow small, yet delicious strawberries and tomatoes. We shall see. If they turn out I will be super excited because I love tomatoes and Ava loves strawberries. Seems like a pretty good solution for my "no room for even one zucchini plant" backyard. Hopefully I have good updates to come on this . . . .

And here is Ava's special project. Wheat Grass! I would recommend this to ANYBODY that has small children. The first picture that we took of her project - i.e. the soil in a pot - was taken less than a week ago and the last picture was taken today. It grows so fast and works out fantastic for a little one with no patience. I swear that if I sat and watched this pot long enough, I could see it grow. Ava has loved it.




This is my son. Most people call him Kai. I call him "dirt-eater" for obvious reasons.

And this is why we are not outside as we speak. The darn wind. Poor tree. Poor us because it is making it very difficult to use our driveway. We've fixed it numerous times, but the wind keeps coming back with a vengeance. Dear Mother Nature, Could you please keep it to a slight breeze? Sincerely, Wind-Blown in Sin City

3 comments:

Alecia and Sam said...

Lyns, you are so domestic!! I love it!! I can't believe you handled two trips to Home Depot either. I can't stand to go in just me so props to you. Your flowers look great and I am excited to come down and try some strawberries and tomatoes!!

♥ Jennifer said...

I'm looking forward to your update because if it works, then I want to try that too! Good idea with the wheat grass. Who knew it grows so fast?! You're awesome. Miss ya.

Em said...

Mads and Ava totally need to hang out. Yeah, I totally hear ya on the lawyer talk thing. Mads does it all the time. When I read that I busted up laughing. you kill me!!! Nice job on being domestic and stuff. Wow, gardner, mom, cook etc. You rock!!!