CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I DESTROYED my daughter's most prized possession . . .

I did it. I killed Ava's binky. ON PURPOSE! Oh my goodness. I have gradually been weaning it from her and it's gone really well. I had her down to only naps and night time, but then we did a bit of traveling (see previous post) and she started asking for it ALL the time. Now, I didn't want my kid to be 4 years old and talking with it in her mouth. Not a pretty sight. So, as we were driving home a week ago, she starts asking for her binky. I keep telling her it's just for night-night. I was fed up by the time we got home, so Randy and I decided it was time. This mean mom took the scissors and cut the nipple of her binky right off (without her seeing me do it - I could not be to blame). A few minutes later she started asking for it again. I gave it to her and said, "Oh no honey! You're binky is broken!" Well, she was confused. At first she thought it was a little funny, then her humor turned into a look of horror. I immediately started crying and Randy had to finish the bed time routine. Well, the whole ordeal went a lot better than I expected. She cried when she went down for her nap and then when we put her to bed that night. Gradually, over the last week, the whole binky thing has just kindof gone away. Let me tell you why the "broken" binky is a great idea. It's nobody's fault. It's just broken and that's how it is. My sweet daughter doesn't blame me for the death of her best friend. Throughout the week, Ava would ask for it and I would give it to her. Then she'd say "binky broken" and hand it back to me. End of story. It's just one more step in my baby girl truly becoming a little girl rather than a baby. I actually believe the whole experience was harder on me than it was on her. Now on to potty training . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

3 comments:

taryn said...

Fabulous idea! I can't wait to use that in about a year. ;) I love that she handed it back to you and said "binky broken"--hilarious!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you! It is the hardest thing in the world watching your children go through something like that even though you know it is the best thing for her. Make sure she doesn't replace the binky with her thumb! That one is harder to stop. You can't exactly destroy her thumb. We learned that the hard way! Good luck potty training.

Lori said...

O.K. I'm going to do it! Was this post just for me and Myah? haha!
I don't know what to do about Myah, but maybe I need to try your method. I think I'll have a "non broken" one on hand just in case.

We miss you guys!