CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Relax . . . . . .

I've learned A LOT of things since I became a mom. You'd think I would have become more tense, stressed, and wound up. While that may be true at times, the majority of the time I'm actually more laid back and relaxed than I was before. There is so much to do in life. For heaven's sake, I don't even work, and I feel like I can't accomplish everything in a day. Laundry, cooking, taking care of the yard, being a support to my spouse, catching up with family, fulfilling church callings, etc. etc. etc. And oh ya, raising and nurturing a child. What I've learned is that the last bit, the one about raising a child? By far the most important. We all know that the things I mentioned before have to be done, but when it comes right down to it, family and the gospel are the most important thing. My husband and my baby are my life, and they are my focus every day.

I have truly learned it's okay if my daughter is soaking wet and getting muddy because she's playing with the hose. She's much happier than if she was perfectly clean and dressed and you will always remember that smile of pure joy. It's okay to rock her to sleep sometimes even if it throws her sleeping schedule off. She's only little for a very short time. It's okay if your bathroom stays dirty for one more day. You won't remember it in the years to come, but you will remember sitting on the floor putting puzzles together. It's okay if it takes me 2 months to read one book when it used to take a week. My daughter is a child of God and deserves the love and attention that Heavenly Father would give her. That means going to a petting zoo, being outside in the heat, or watching Sesame Street when you'd most certainly rather be doing something else. When it comes right down to it, it's all about her.

I feel lucky because for some reason, I have come to realize early on what the important things are in life. I think it takes a lot of people too much time to come to that realization. Don't get me wrong, my house is typically clean, I cook dinner for my family (most nights), and I tend to get some reading in here and there. But it's just like everything else: Moderation. I want my kids to have a great childhood, and when it comes right down to it, it's all up to the parents. Our kids grow so fast, and I, for one, don't want to miss the ride.

6 comments:

lmackay32 said...

I totally agree you you Lyns. I actually kind of enjoy when Jaxon comes and sneaks in our bed at night, before too long he will get too big to even fit with us!

Nic & Trudi said...

I'm excited to experience all this for myself :) I have actually been feeling a lot better. I'm hoping i'm pretty much over the sick part. There was a while there that I was miserable, but it's getting better and I know it's going to be worth it, so I can't really complain.

Kaydee said...

I love this post! It is so easy to get so stressed about life that I forget to enjoy it. I often have to remind myself not to think of the mess my boys are creating when the sit out back and make mud pies, but to focus on their creative energy and the fact that they are actually playing together and having a great time. Thanks for the reminder! :)

The Wright's said...

I am really glad I checked your blog today...at this very moment it is EXACTLY what I needed to read! Ella is a crier..and when I say crier.. I mean LOUD and constant. It gets a little overwhelming to say the least! Thanks Lyns.. I am glad that you are patient and such an example to me! You always have been.

Anonymous said...

Lyns I love this post. It is so easy in this world to think that because we stay at home we aren't as successful. Being able to realize how lucky we are is great. I can't believe how fast our kids grow up. Ava is so darling. Jake was looking at your blog with me and thinks she looks just like you.

Lori said...

Very true Lyns! I'm so glad you have been blessed to figure this out, I'm still trying to get it! I totally need to relax (or take an anxiety pill :)
We had so much fun with you guys this past weekend! Thanks for being so fun and easy! We love you guys and we love little Ava!