CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, April 23, 2010

Dam . . . . . . .

We decided to make a day trip to the Hoover Dam one Saturday. It's really close and something every American should see right? The traffic wasn't horrible and the kids honestly enjoyed it. The first thing Randy did was to lift Ava up so that she could see the dam and how far down it went. It made her nervous and she was a little sketchy about the whole thing for the rest of the adventure. Notice her "I'm smiling for the camera but actually terrified out of my mind" look in the first picture. I don't blame her. The dam is huge and it was REALLY far down. I think looking at it gave me a bit of vertigo too. We went to the visitors center and the observation area. There was a lot of cool information. Granted, we only saw a little of it because 2 children who can't read really don't get into that type of stuff, but it was fun nonetheless. They did have some little games for the kids to play. We also made a quick stop to see Lake Mead on the way back. It's so close and it was really beautiful. If only we had a boat . . . . .












The highlight of the day (insert sarcasm), was the fact that after we paid for our tickets, they took a fantastic family photo of us with the Hoover Dam in the background, ummm, I mean a blank background inside the building. Luckily, with the use of amazing technology, they were able to photoshop the actual Dam behind us. You had your pick: The Dam with the water spilling gracefully out, in the evening, in the day, with a rainbow, and get this, with the largest American flag ever. If you so choose, for an additional $15.00 you could have a picture of you in front of the Dam where, in reality, it is not humanly possible to stand. I can just imagine it hanging in your house when a friend stops by. "Wow, that is a beautiful picture of the Dam! How did you get to that exact spot at the same time as that gorgeous rainbow?" Or, "What a beautiful flag! That's got to be the largest I've ever seen!" I'm sure there are plenty of people that buy pictures like that. We just don't happen to be one of them. Because, we were actually there, so we got a real picture of the dam. Hmmmm . . . . .

4 comments:

Adhis said...

Yeah- it's amazing how much they will charge you for those dam photos.

Alecia and Sam said...

First thing... I laughed so hard at how frightened Ava looks in that first pic. Second thing.... baby Kai's hair is adorable!! Third thing... I need you to buy a picture of your family at the dam with a BIG american flag. It is a must!!:)

Heidi said...

Adhis beat me to it...I was going to say, "Just take your own dam picture."
And for the record, I am terrified of heights and Kai's stroller up on the window like that is still giving me the willies.

Jenny said...

This is seriously awesome. The dam is a must. :) You have the cutest family. Kai is getting so big!