CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Food . . . . .

I'm fairly certain this is my first food post I've ever done; with good reason. I do cook for my family and I choose to believe they like it. :) I am certainly no chef though. I have a hard time getting all of the fruits and veggies in. I've always fed the basics to my kids but for some reason the produce department intimidates me, but I LOVE fruits and veggies. Well, I have found the absolute best solution: Bountiful Baskets. 50% Fruits, 50% Veggies, $15. It's FANTASTIC! Especially since I have a "garden" area the size of a shoebox. I don't have to wander the aisles of the store trying not to look stupid and ask myself inquisitive questions like, "How the heck do you cook this?" I place my order, pick it up, and all of the decisions are made for me and it's always a fun surprise as to what I'm going to get. Most of the stuff I actually do know how to cook :), but for the stuff I don't, I call my mama or grandma, or search the internet to figure out a recipe. Anything that I have leftover goes straight into a healthy smoothie which my whole family loves. It has been FABULOUS! Biggest surprise of it all? My kids actually really dig a lot of the stuff!

Here is an example of a bountiful basket. $15 People!

An easy recipe I found for brown sugar brussel sprouts and carrots. (BTW - My kids really didn't like the brussel sprouts. I guess there's a reason they are quoted so often as "disgusting" vegetables. I just sortof liked them. The carrots, on the other hand, were divine!)


Strawberry Shortcake thanks to the delicious strawberries we received. I've also found out that strawberries are Ava's very favorite thing. Kai, not so much, but he can down grapes like it's nobody's business.

Ava's new favorite thing: Corn on the cob. When I tell her we're having it for dinner, I might as well tell her we're headed to The Happiest Place On Earth. She thinks it's so great and always tells me "Don't cut if off Mom!"

Thank goodness for Bountiful Baskets because this is how my "teeny tiny, but promised to be delicious" tomatoes look:

On the other hand, my strawberries are thriving! Still, I don't know if 3 or 4 "small, but delicious" strawberries would fill my family's summer quota for fruits and veggies. :)

6 comments:

Heidi said...

looks good! I did it here a few months ago and wasn't too impressed. I think it's time to try again (and pray I don't get brussel sprouts!)

Alecia and Sam said...

I love brussel sprouts. Okay, not love but I do like them. All of your food looks amazing. That is a great idea!! I wonder if they do that at the Burger Bar in FG....????

Adhis said...

I'm going to give this Harvest biz a chance.

BTW, I'm not sure if anyone told you, but strawberries take a year or two to establish themselves before they give up the goods. They're a bit shy at first.

Lyns said...

I actually did just recently find this out about strawberries Adhis, but seriously, what's wrong with my tomatoes? :(

Heidi - Were you just not impressed with the quality of the produce? Mine has been fabulous!

Annie Nielson said...

Wow, that looks so good! Everything you have pictured would be things that we would eat minus the brussel sprouts. They have a weird, strong flavor. Jim's family loves them though. His mom fed them to us for Sunday dinner once. Jim's burps after were even more terrible than the veggie was going down the first time :)

♥ Jennifer said...

That's awesome! I tell Cade the same thing, "don't cut if off the cob!". ;)